Friday, February 29, 2008

Second Life Interview

I can't compare my interview to my expectations, because I really had no idea what to expect. I signed onto second life earlier than my scheduled interview and my avatar was right in the middle of another interview going on so that was an akward start to the session. Although it was a virtual world I felt a little wierder than I would expect to be in middle of someone elses virtual interview. But really there is no way to avoid interuptions like that in second life.

One thing I did not anticipate during the interview was the typing factor. When I was asked quesitons, I would have to take some time to think about them and then I had to take more time to type them. I felt like it was taking me forever to get the answers out because of how long it took to type them. Then if I changed my mind I would have to erase what I had written and type more.

Other than typing, it surprisingly did simulate a real interview. I had to think quickly on the spot and answer the same types of questions I normally would. The one thing lacking in any second life activity is people skills. If I was hiring someone, I would want to see things like eye contact and confidence (non-verbal language). I guess there is also no way to be sure it is the person you think it is on the other end. If I wanted to I could have easily had someone sit in for me in the interview.

It simulated an actuall interview more than I expected, but it still lacked a lot of characteristics that is important for an employer to see.

-Ned

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm thinking turning on voice chat would work better. But you did a great job.

No problem on getting there early. Honestly, I've interview in offices that were small, so I could HEAR the other interview going on, lol. I think most of the time, they would close the door or something. It threw me off b/c I started listening to that instead of thinking of my own answers.