Sunday, February 17, 2008

Resume Cover Letter

Do I agree with the advice given here? Absolutely. This advice is from an experienced employer who has looked over thousands of resumes and tells it like it is. It does not seem written from a textbook point of view, but rather from someone with experience who genuinely wants to help entry level employees. All of the information about cover letters makes sense, but is not stuff I would think about on my own. I thought it was interesting that most cover letters are never read. It is a 'cover' letter so I would think it would be the first thing read.

There was not anything in here that I do not agree with because it all seemed to be useful, knowledgeable information. I will refer back to this when I am writing my cover letter.

The section that is most useful to me is 'The Best Use of a Cover Letter' section. It says to know what you are selling to the customer. In this case I am selling what makes me stand out from the rest. Right now I am not sure what differentiates me from the rest of the market, so I need to find out. As it says, the resume explains your features; your cover letter explains your benefits.

To be honest, I knew nothing about a cover letter. I thought it was normal to send a resume to speak for itself. The more I read, it sounds like a lot of people to send a resume alone, but it is important to send a cover letter. This was pretty much all new to me.

-Ned

No comments: